December 5, 2011

What's Crafting? Take 2.

This weekend I had some glorious time at home to finish decorating for Christmas, clean my apartment and do a little crafting.  I accomplished a few projects over the weekend including DIY mercury glass and painting a yard sale ceiling medallion to create an unconventional Christmas wreath.

First, I'll show you the mercury glass.  I followed this tutorial that I found on Pinterest using Krylon Looking Glass spray paint.  It was fairly easy.  The hardest part was mastering the spray paint.  It is very thin and runny so it was hard at first to figure out just the right amount of pressure to put on the spray nozzle for perfect application.  

The Inspiration:


My Version:


You can't really tell how well they turned out from the picture.  I didn't think to take pictures of them with candles lit inside like the inspiration photo.  I had most of the glass pieces already, but I bought the medium-sized ones at The Dollar Tree the other day.

The second project was this neat "wreath" made from a ceiling medallion that I bought at a yard sale.  I think I got the idea from a Better Homes & Gardens e-mail and stored it away in my memory to do later.  I had the medallion and the paint already...just had to motivate myself to do it.  I love how it turned out! I'm not thrilled with the ribbon choice, but it was all I had on-hand.  I think I'll try to get some bright green to replace it this week.




I haven't gotten around to doing any of the three projects that I intended to do from my last post.  I have all the supplies for the Christmas pillows and have already cut the fabric.  But I have yet to pull out my sewing machine to finish the task.  I also have most of the items I need for the starburst mirror and Mod Podge letters.  I should have at least one of those projects finished to post soon.  Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...